Look at me! Blogging two days in a row!!
This one will be a short one, I don’t have any pictures of the preperation of this soup, but it’s so easy it would almost be an insult to instruct you through it.
It’s great. I mean, look at it, creaminess, cheesyness, green onion, bacon.. All that yummyness in one bowl- can’t go wrong. And not to mention, it’s super easy to whip together. OH and one more thing- it’s made with 1% milk, so you won’t feel too guilty going for the second bowl you can’t resist 😉
Loaded Potato Soup
Prep Time: 25 mins | Cook Time: — | Servings: Yield: 4 servings | Difficulty: Easy
- 4 (6-ounce) red potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 bacon slices, halved
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 teaspoons thinly sliced green onions
1. Pierce potatoes with a fork. Microwave on HIGH 13 minutes or until tender. Cut in half; cool slightly.
2. While potatoes cook, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth. Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk in measuring cup; add to pan then add the remaining 1 1/2 cups milk. Bring to a boil; stir often, being careful to not let the milk boil over. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream, salt, and pepper.
3. Arrange bacon on a paper towel on a microwave-safe plate. Cover with a paper towel; microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes. Crumble bacon.
4. Scoop potato into soup and discard potato skins. Coarsely mash potatoes into soup using a potato masher. Ladle soup into four bowls and top with cheese, green onions, and bacon.
One thing to keep in mind: Make sure you let the potatoes cool down before you scoop them into the soup. I didn’t, and it hurt a lot (imagine burning hot potato mash all over your hands).